The idea that breakfast is the most important meal of the day has long been the subject of contentious debate. In one camp, there are those who extol the benefits of eating breakfast. Then there are the detractors — these skeptics argue that you are better off skipping breakfast.
In my opinion, the salient issue is what you are eating for breakfast. The standard American breakfast includes choices like cereals, bagels and muffins, which are literally the worst foods you can eat.
They contain highly processed grains and sugar that can wreak havoc on your health. There is no scenario where you are better off eating this processed garbage. On the other hand, a nourishing meal may have much to recommend.
In order to incorporate cutting edge nutritional information, I have made a number of updates to my morning meal over the years. I am also more cognizant of the types of foods that keep me in optimal health, and work best for my body.
If you take a look at my breakfast recipe, you’ll see that it’s loaded with healthy fats and other nutrients that are essential for mitochondrial health.
However, some of you may have different nutritional needs or just need to kick-start your day. For example, if you’re a serious athlete or bodybuilder, then you may benefit from a heartier breakfast. If this describes you, then I highly recommend my Gluten-Free Waffles recipe.
This healthy and wholesome take on an American breakfast favorite is a great choice for people who need additional energy to start their day.
- 9 organic pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup raw butter or Dr. Mercola’s coconut oil
- 1/2 cup Dr. Mercola’s coconut flour (plus a little more)
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Dr. Mercola’s vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. Dr. Mercola’s Himalayan salt
- 2 scoops Dr. Mercola’s protein powder (any flavor you desire)
- Dr. Mercola’s raw honey for drizzling (optional)
- Organic fruit of your choice (strawberries, blueberries or bananas)
- Crack the eggs into a medium-sized bowl and beat with whisk or immersion blender.
- Add the melted butter or oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Add the coconut flour and protein powder, then mix well. The batter should be thick. If it’s too thin, add a little more coconut flour.
- Spoon into heated and greased waffle iron and cook until light brown and firm to touch.
- Serve with fresh fruit of your choice and/or with a drizzle of Dr. Mercola’s honey.
To learn more about the benefits of starting your day off right, read the rest of the article on Mercola.com.